7 most powerful African queens in history you need to know
09/09/2019 | PULSE NIGERIA | ADEREMI OJEKUNLE
- African women played significant roles in the history of the continent.
- Here are seven powerful queens in the history of Africa.
There are powerful and clever women who were African leaders and played significant roles in the history of the continent, most especially during pre and post-British colonial era.https://pulsembed.eu/p2em/jmCkQH0en#amp=1
1. Amina the queen of zaria Nigeria https://youtu.be/VcFQyqZwcv8
Amina Mohamud was a Hausa warrior queen of the city-state Zazzau, presently in the North-West region of Nigeria. Her leadership skills were discovered early by her grandfather who allowed her to attend state meetings.
Historians described her as one of the real rulers born in the mid-sixteenth century.
2. Kandake – the empress of Ethiopiahttps://610d86acc49da7cbfa2850b3b6ba4428.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
Kandake or Candace was regarded as one of the most dreaded war generals of her time. Historians said she was known to be a fierce, tactical and uniting military leader.
3. Makeda – The Queen of Sheba, Ethiopia
Makeda was known to be a queen of incredible strength, after surviving a battle with the serpent king Awre.
4. Nefertiti – Queen of Ancient Kemet, Egypt
Nefertiti was an Egyptian Queen and the Great Royal Wife (chief consort) of Akhenaten, an Egyptian Pharaoh. With her husband, she reigned during what was arguably the wealthiest period of Ancient Egyptian history.
5. Yaa Asantewa – Ashanti Kingdom, Ghana
Asantewa was the queen mother of Ejisu in the Ashanti Empire – now part of modern-day Ghana. In 1900, she led the Ashanti war known as the War of the Golden Stool, also known as the Yaa Asantewaa war, against British colonials.
6. Queen Nandi – Zulu kingdom, South Africahttps://610d86acc49da7cbfa2850b3b6ba4428.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
Queen Nandi was resilient as a mother and the hope against social pressures. She was the mother of Shaka Zulu, one of the Zulu kingdom’s greatest kings. According to historians, during the reign of her son, she had significant influence over the affairs of the kingdom.
7. Queen Moremi – Ile-Ife Kingdom, Nigeria
Queen Moremi was a courageous queen who is fabled to have contributed to the deliverance of the Yoruba tribe from oppression.
Join the “The African People of Love” Don’t miss a thing, get the latest updates to fuel your conversation dailyclique
SEND ME UPDATES
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: